Welcome to the Free Computer Help and Technical Support Forum.
Linux Servers vs Windows Servers
Linux Severs and Windows Servers Comparison
Speaking about a server and OS options other than Windows and Mac, a few names that quickly come to the mind include Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, etc. Surprisingly, all of the three open source alternatives that I just mentioned run on Linux kernel! Not only that, a lot of other open source operating systems and server software that are highly popular with proponents of open source software belong to this same category! Well, that does make Linux a name to reckon with in the open source arena, and justifies its status as a befitting competitor to Windows. That being said, let's take a quick look at some interesting points that form the highlights of the "Linux servers versus Windows servers" debate.
- The Cost Factor: When you get a Linux server, being open sourced, the operating system is free and you need not pay any license fee. This isn't so with Windows, as you need to pay a decent sum for getting the original stuff.
- Flexibility and Ease: The best thing about an open source is all the flexibility that they offer for you to make customizations and modifications to suit your individual needs. With a Linux server, you can make a lot of kernel modifications within the bat of an eyelid. However, a Windows server is not so generous or flexible a task performer. You cannot make any kernel modifications, and the most you can do to come close to fulfilling your individual requirements is to choose a version or variant from among the available Windows OS options. That being said, it only implies the greater technical expertise needed to run a Linux server. Windows, on the other hand, is more user-friendly, and even an amateur can learn how to install and manage a Windows server.
- Stability and Support: The most important aspect of a Windows platform is that it is stable, making it highly user-friendly with standard instructions and guidelines on installation, management and troubleshooting available. Linux platforms, on the other hand, may get modified from time to time, as tweaks get implemented to its core architecture. Also, technical support guidelines may vary, which may confuse someone who is not an expert at these things. Also, any problem with a Windows server, and you know exactly who to contact – Microsoft. With Linux or other open source platforms, unless you're a veteran geek, you may not know the right places to look for support in case of any troubleshooting issues.
- Access Control Options: With Windows, you can easily set access control mechanisms without even bothering about installing any software add-on! It's not that simple in case of Linux though.
- Patching: Deciding upon patching on a Windows server is easy, as the only patches compatible with Windows are those that are issued by Microsoft! With Linux, on the other hand, you may decide to go for patches issued by other open source players, or you may decide to wait for a commercial Linux provider to come up with one. On the flip side, this means you have more options with Linux!
Dealing with a machine and OS choices other than Enthusiasm windows and Mac, a few titles that quickly come to the mind include Ie8, Fedora, openSUSE, etc. Amazingly, all of the three free choices that I just described run on Unix like kernel! Not only that, a lot of other free systems and machine program that are extremely popular with supporter of free fit in with this same category! Well, that does create Unix like a name to think with in the free area, and warrants its position as a suitable competition to Enthusiasm windows. That being said, let's take a quick look at some exciting points that form the illustrates of the "Linux web servers compared to Enthusiasm windows servers" issue.
The Cost Factor: When you get a Unix like machine, being start found, the operating-system is free and you need not pay any certificate fee. This isn't so with Enthusiasm windows, as you need to pay a good sum for getting the unique products.
Flexibility and Ease: The best thing about an free is all the mobility that they offer for you to create custom remaking and variations for your personal needs. With a Unix like machine, you can create a lot of kernel variations within the bat of an eye lid. However, a Enthusiasm windows machine is not so nice or versatile a process entertainer. You cannot create any kernel variations, and the most you can do to come close to enjoyable your personal specifications is to choose a edition or different from among the available Enthusiasm windows OS choices. That being said, it only indicates the greater complex experience needed to run a Unix like machine. Enthusiasm windows, however, is more user-friendly, and even an beginner can learn how to set up and handle a Enthusiasm windows machine.
Stability and Support: The most essential element of a Enthusiasm windows foundation is that it is constant, making it extremely user-friendly with standard guidelines and recommendations on set up, management and trouble shooting available. Unix like systems, however, may get altered occasionally, as changes get carried out to its primary structure. Also, tech assistance team recommendations may differ, which may befuddle someone who is not an professional at these things. Also, any problem with a Enthusiasm windows machine, and you know exactly who to contact – Enthusiasm. With Unix like or other free systems, unless you're a professional dork, you may not know the right places to look for assistance in situation of any trouble shooting issues.
Access Management Options: With Enthusiasm windows, you can easily set accessibility control systems without even annoying about the set up of any program add-on! It's not that simple in situation of Unix like though.
Patching: Determining upon patching on a Enthusiasm windows machine is easy, as the only areas appropriate with Enthusiasm windows are those that are from Microsoft! With Unix like, however, you may choose to go for areas from other free gamers, or you may choose to wait around for a professional Unix like company to come up with one. On the other hand, this means you have more choices with Linux!
Linux Servers vs Windows Servers
Members who have read this thread : 0
You do not have permission to view the list of names.
Tags for this Thread